2024 Spring RFL Results Thread: Cows (Round Two)

PhineasB

Guide Author
Mar 14, 2020
Alright, let's see what the finale had to offer. v1.07 shenanigans strike again, although I'm leaving in the spoiler so ziambe and silvio have to wonder if it was them or the other :) Another Zod dropped this round, to go with the one from Round 1, so that's solid!
Silvio415 (1.07) (10 pts)
Lo 228.7
Total: 228.7

ziambe (1.07) (8pts)
Vex 115.3
Gul 76.9
Um 29.0
Total: 221.2

Nano (D2R) (6 pts)
Zod 71.8
Jah 18.3
Jah 18.3
Lo 15.1
Vex 10.6
Total: 134.1

LouB (D2R) (5 pts)
Cham 27.5
Jah 18.3
Ohm 10.1
Gul 7.1
Total: 63.0

Vildecor (D2R) (4 pts)
Sur 13.7
Sur 13.7
Vex 10.6
Vex 10.6
Ohm 10.1
Total 58.7

drmalawi (D2R) (3 pts)
Um 5.1
Ist 7.5
Ohm 10.1
Ohm 10.1
Ber 20.5
Total: 53.3

Excalibur (D2R) (2 pts)
Sur 13.7
Ohm 10.1
Ohm 10.1
Ohm 10.1
Ist 7.5
Total: 51.5

maxicek (D2R) (1 pt)
Sur 13.7
Vex 10.6
Vex 10.6
Ist 7.5
Ist 7.5
Total 49.9

DenimChicken (D2R)
Gul 7.1
Um 5.1
Mal 5.0
Pul 3.4
Total: 20.6

little birdy (D2R)
Vex 10.6
Gul 7.1
Total: 17.7

No results: Swamigoon, m4ke

The final standings (drum roll):
ziambe (16 points)
Vildecor (14 points)
Silvio415 (13 points)
Nano (11 points)
DenimChicken (6 points)
maxicek (5 points)
LouB (5 points)
drmalawi (4 points)
Excalibur (2 points)
little birdy (2 points)
Early versions proved too much to overcome again!

Thanks to everyone for participating, there was solid participation and nice drops across all the runners. Thanks everyone for participating and keeping the RFL a great SPF event!

Thanks for hosting! Congratulations to everyone and especially the winners!

What are everyones plans with their new shiny runes?

I think I will make a new CoH with my Ber rune. Or cube it up to make a new Faith bow...

Congrats to Silvio for the Round 2 victory and ziambe for the overall RFL win!

23 qualifiers in the 1st set with the Nova Sorc:
ViOuFSC.png

Code:
Run 37: Cham Rune
Run 54: Pul Rune
Run 69: Ohm Rune
Run 92: Gul Rune
Run 129: Lo Rune
Run 149: Pul Rune
Run 168: Pul Rune
Run 171: Lo Rune
Run 176: Um Rune
Run 216: Pul Rune
Run 239: Cham Rune
Run 253: Mal Rune
Run 254: Ohm Rune
Run 268: Pul Rune
Run 282: Ohm Rune
Run 320: Ist Rune
Run 323: Mal Rune
Run 359: Um Rune
Run 364: Gul Rune
Run 382: Jah Rune
Run 422: Ist Rune
Run 449: Pul Rune
Run 473: Mal Rune

Started off hot in the 1st set with a Cham rune, then 2 Lo runes around the quarter mark, then a 2nd Cham rune around the half way point. The rune quality cooled off in the 2nd half of the set, except for the Jah rune that rounded out the top 5.
Cham, Cham, Jah, Lo, Lo is the exact same top 5 as my 2023 RFL Round 2, with a total of 103.5 points. 100+ points was a great score to settle on, but I had to try out a build made possible in D2R..

18 qualifiers in the 2nd set with mostly the Demon Machine Enchantress Sorc:
DAwjQot.png

Code:
Run 32: Vex Rune
Run 57: Jah Rune
Run 103: Pul Rune
Run 107: Um Rune
Run 109: Ohm Rune
Run 140: Zod Rune
Run 184: Mal Rune
Run 191: Ist Rune
Run 196: Gul Rune
Run 228: Jah Rune
Run 246: Pul Rune
Run 246: Vex Rune
Run 309: Lo Rune
Run 328: Mal Rune
Run 346: Pul Rune
Run 376: Ohm Rune
Run 387: Gul Rune
Run 402: Pul Rune

I started the first 2.5 hours of the 2nd set with a no Static version of the Enchantress, just to test out the raw power of piercing fire balls. If I was able to stack 3-4 explosive bolts at a group of cows, this was enough to take out a full health P7 Cow. Often times the cows were more spread out, thus I tested another 2.5 hours of Enchantress with Static, and this felt a bit better.

The next 2.5 hours after that, I revisited an old friend of the Cow level, PN/CE Necro. At this point, I planned to stop running after reaching the 7.5 hour mark, since it was unlikely that I would beat my 1st set score. But near hour 7 was when the Zod dropped, convincing me to finish the full 20 hours.
hB86O1x.png

With the remaining time, I went back to the Enchantress to collect more data.

Code:
                 Nova Enchant
Players             7     7
Qualifiers         23    18
Hours              20    15
Runs              501   312
Avg Time Per Run 2:24  2:53

Drop stats
Small Charm       424   281
Grand Charm       430   287
Jewels            437   265
Cows Per Run*     435   450
Cows Per Min*     181   156
*Based on drops

Nova Sorc performed really well, just about as good as her 2023 RFL set. Enchantress felt slower than Nova Sorc, but performed better than I expected by outdoing my other top runners in efficiency.
The great thing about the Enchantress is that she will kill everything in a line, and the worse thing is that she only kill things in a line. I think there is room for improvement here, especially with the play style and technique.

2024 RFL Screenshots Album
Fungal Grand Charm of Sustenance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 53
Fingerprint: 0xaab3578
Item Level: 81
Version: Resurrected
Unidentified
+1 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)
+34 to Life

Natural Grand Charm of Vita
Grand Charm
Required Level: 69
Fingerprint: 0x968f2cd2
Unidentified
+1 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
+39 to Life

Shogukusha's Grand Charm of Balance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0x14df1f0c
Unidentified
+1 to Martial Art Skills (Assassin Only)
+12% Faster Hit Recovery

Entrapping Grand Charm of Balance
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xe8dce573
Item Level: 84
Unidentified
+1 to Trap Skills (Assassin Only)
+12% Faster Hit Recovery
Serpent's Small Charm of Good Luck
Small Charm
Required Level: 40
Fingerprint: 0x6bcff2a0
Unidentified
+13 to Mana
7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Shimmering Small Charm of Sustenance
Small Charm
Required Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xf4627e10
Unidentified
+14 to Life
All Resistances +3

Shimmering Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0x4602a9da
Unidentified
+16 to Life
All Resistances +3

Fine Small Charm of Inertia
Small Charm
Required Level: 27
Fingerprint: 0x68d0d5fd
Unidentified
+3% Faster Run/Walk
+3 to Maximum Damage
+13 to Attack Rating

Glowing Small Charm of Storms
Small Charm
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0xb36b3afe
Unidentified
Adds 2 - 52 Lightning Damage

Ocher Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0xd3864a4c
Item Level: 84
Unidentified
+17 to Life
Lightning Resist +7%
Ruby Jewel of Fervor
Jewel
Required Level: 31
Fingerprint: 0xc177e17c
Unidentified
+15% Increased Attack Speed
Fire Resist +26%

The wrong RJoF!

Congratulations to ziambe and thank you PhineasB for hosting yet again!

I was able to play just under 9 hours into one set, and I dropped that Lo on one of my first runs. I think I picked up some of ziambe's rune luck.

Screenshot001.jpg

Most of my runs were played on p5. I prebuffed with 5 rituals about half of the time, and the other half I prebuffed with about a half a ritual to increase set drops. I was able to cross out 4 grailers (Baranar's Star, Bartuc's Chop Chop, Dangoon's Teaching, and Cow King's Hide), leaving me with 23 items remaining on the 1.07 grail.

Other than that I found two of these eth bad boys:

Screenshot007.jpg

And some 3/20s!

Screenshot011.jpg

What to do with the Lo? Probably just keep it in my stash and admire it, if I'm being honest. 1.07 runewords are garbage and it seems like a waste to forward it to 1.14d/D2R. The runes I found in round 1 (Cham, Ohm, Vex, Ist, Pul) will go toward the runeword grail!

Wahoooo! When that Vex dropped, i knew i had a chance - 1.07 shenanigans indeed @PhineasB :D

Amazing data @Nano , always fun to see. If I could only teach myself to ignore all charms etc, I might have even better results.

@Silvio415 that is an impressive find! I definetly agree with shelfing it for admiration purposes. Thats probably all my cham will ever achieve :p

1715759301831.png
1715759327455.png
1715759347865.png

Cheers to all for the fun and special thanks to @PhineasB for hosting!

Last edited:
Congrats everyone and in particular @ziambe for the overall win!

As mentioned in the thread I ended up not running this RFL for a change, but was great to follow nonetheless.

@Nano great stuff as per usual! Interesting results with Demon Machine Enchantress... when trying it a while back I was quite underwhelmed to be frank and thought people rather inflated the build :D but seems to do a decent job with cows. Narrower/better damage range aside, I imagine it to be similar to Lightning (the skill) Sorc, also shooting in a line but with better AoE then one might think based on visuals (although not a top contender build ultimately).

Always cool to see all those juuicy non-qualifiers, also from the 1.07 crowd!

Congrats to the winners and to Nano for the D2R win.

I managed a fairly consistent score this time, but with nothing above a Sur again, I’m happy to pick up a point.

Reactions: ziambe
did you find them or craft them?

Crafted. The 1.07 crafting recipe for lesser blood gloves is Tir + jewel + any ruby + magic heavy gloves. 1.07 crafts can have affixes that are magic-only in 1.14/D2R so they can be really nice. I was crafting every Tir rune during my set and these were the best gloves.

Congrats all.

I'm shocked that I got 4th. With run time 5 times longer that @Nano I was very happy with my finds, but knew that I had way fewer drops to get lucky on and lucky I was. Before next year I'm going to make a cow runner using teleport so I can get my run time down. I did finally manage to stop picking up gems. Now, I've also got to stop running around picking up gold and making sure I kill every cow. If I did that I could get my Assassin down to around 9 minutes.

Tonight I'm going to post a new thread looking for advice with what to do with the runes I did find. I've got some ideas, but would like some sanity checks.

Thanks for hosting @PhineasB and thanks everyone for participating! It's always more fun with more competitors.
I am really happy for 1.07 runners to find runes (I don't think I would have the patience for it) and quite amazed that 1.07 entries always find something.

I had a good start. I got 2 Ohms, a Sur and a few lesser qualifiers within the first 5-6 hours. I only got another Ohm and several minor qualifiers for the rest of my set. I usually do well in Cows but I really need to stop collecting trash items and killing most of the cows to improve my running time. My runs varied from 3 to 5 minutes at P7. Whenever TZ cows were available, I switched to P8 for the experience.

I uploaded my finds in my Moo Moo thread to keep track of the finds and I will post my haul pic here later.
Lastly, I think it's a shame that another Zod drop can't claim victory.

Last edited:
Congrats to @Silvio415 and @ziambe for their 1.07 finds, and to @Nano for those juicy D2R rune hauls.

My haul pic:
Screenshot091.png

I imagine if I'd finished the last 3 hours of the set, I would have snagged a second Ist rune based on these drops. Runs were comfortable on p7, averaging 4.25 minutes per run. Finding a (non eth) Griffons would just make things even faster. Best non-qualifiers were a Mav's Diadem, Cow King's Horn (to finish the set), and a Steel (117 AR) GC of Vita (39 life).

Snagging the Zod in round 1 means I'll likely be making a BotD weapon soon. As for bases, I only have a few eth elite contenders: Champion Axe, Great Poleaxe, and Ogre Maul--the first two being the most obvious candidates.

Thanks once again to @PhineasB for hosting, and to everyone running--keeping the RFL alive.

Screenshot072.png
Screenshot074.png
Screenshot075.png
Screenshot083.png
Screenshot087.png

Champion Axe, Great Poleaxe, and Ogre Maul--the first two being the most obvious candidates.
Champion Axe is an interesting choice, who would use it? Is it for bears? At quick glance, a glorious axe would only be 1 framw slower with 55 gias, 40 of which would come from gloves + highlords which you would likely be using anyway. Do tell!

When the RFL finished I only had 14 hours in my second set, so I decided to finish the 20 hours and see what would fall. I've got 1 hour left. During the first 3 hours nothing, the next two hours dropped an Um, Ist and Vex. Hope the last hour is good.

Champion Axe is an interesting choice, who would use it? Is it for bears? At quick glance, a glorious axe would only be 1 framw slower with 55 gias, 40 of which would come from gloves + highlords which you would likely be using anyway. Do tell!

Ideally I'd want to use it for a sept, and I want to try it in a 2-hander. I may end up holding out for a Colossus Blade or Glorious Axe, preferably the sword because I just really like the look of 2-handed swords.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High