This new Guardian broke my game

JoeBruce

Jun 18, 2020
A few years back, I finally managed to Guardian a single-pass, untwinked Hydra sorceress. She was lvl 86 when that happened, and I got her up to 90 running Ancient Tunnels (not looking for Tal's armor). She perished due to carelessness (amp'd, cold enchanted boss).

I luckily had a lvl 50 sorceress waiting in the wings. This one I had used some nice twinking gear to get to that level and only spending a couple of skills points (static, teleport, warmth). So I had this sorceress ready to go into Nightmare with 40+ unspent skill points. I even made a thread about that. I decided to do something I've always loathed: a single-element build. I was running Ancient Tunnels anyway. Time to make a Blizzard sorc.

I stopped to run the Tunnels whenever I got there, probably in the late 70s. As I progressed through the 80s I started to quest onward a little bit. I just finished her the other night at lvl 88. She has 800 life, 50% block, +2 skills, and just over 300% magic find. Part of why I did this was to take advantage of Terror Zones, although I really have no idea what those are. I know they appear randomly and rotate at an interval. I think the monster levels are higher? Whatever. One of the first Terror Zones I got was Tal Rasha's Chamber, and since I was in the neighborhood, I went to check it out.

Somewhere in there I got a unique grand charm drop. I was already carrying Gheed's, but I was pretty sure I could put that in one of the shared stashes and pick up this one. I popped back down, picked up my new Gheed's, and identified it to see what kind of roll I got. Much to my surprise, it wasn't a Gheed's. It was something called a cold sunder. And it removed monster immunity to the element that this character used. At first I couldn't believe it. Eventually I realized it also tanks my cold resistance—I thought the big negative number was what applied to my enemies, to break their resist—so at least there's an attempt at balance. But surely, this was game-breaking. A charm that solves the only problem a Blizzard sorc has: cold immunes.

I didn't know there were new unique charms! (Okay, I kind of did, but knew nothing about them. I guess I had heard these mentioned. Obviously, I know I didn't "break the game," but it was still a very interesting and amusing few minutes. I'm keeping this sunder charm in my stash for now, so I can grab it if I find myself in an area with cold immunes; but for now I'll probably stick to running Ancient Tunnels and Pindleskin, not looking for Tal's armor or amulet (the latter of which was lost on the lvl 90 Hydra sorceress).) At least now my single-element Guardian has a way to handle anything in the game. Shenk, here I come!

I've been going to a diablo2.io site for updated info, but it doesn't seem they have anything about charms in their database. Odd. Where do y'all go to get updated D2 info? The Arreat Summit hasn't been updated in a looong time.

Google "sunder charm d2r"

Lower resist, conviction, cold mastery (and iirc also amp dmg and decrepify) only works at 1/5 "strength" against sundered monsters.

So let's say your only -% cold res on your char is cold mastery at -150%. A cold immune monster will get his/her cold resistance down to 95% first, and then cold mastery will be -150%/5 = -30%. This means that the monster will have cold resistance 65%. So in order to take fully advantage of this sunder charm, you "need" more sources of -% cold res. Like voice of reason, facets, doom weapon, infinity merc etc.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High