slightly interesting/slightly annoying cubing experience i

Gengis Chuck

Jun 23, 2003
slightly interesting/slightly annoying cubing experience

Last night I found myself a Low Quality Sacred Targe with 65%ED (why couldn't it have been ethereal instead of Low Quality :mad: ). I was thinking of selling it when I remembered that there was a cube recipe to make it Normal. I decided to try the recipe and I was a bit surprised/annoyed when it rerolled with a +13 Resist All mod. What upsets me the most is that I lost a valuable chipped gem and an El rune. :p

I guess it works the other way around as well, so if you happen along a Low Quality elite item with bad stats or mod, you might be able to get something decent out of it with the recipe, especially those pally shields. Besides, it's nice to actually use chippies and El's for something. :)

1 Eld Rune + 1 Chipped Gem + Low Quality Weapon = Normal Quality Weapon of same type (ilvl = 1. That is, regardless of what the ilvl was beforehand, it will be set to 1.)

1 El Rune + 1 Chipped Gem + Low Quality Armor = Normal Quality Armor of same type

I think the mod reroll must only apply when cubing from low quality to normal.

I use the shield socketing recipe on normal Paladin shields and the mods stay the same, IIRC....

On a side note, I cubed a devil star the other day just for kicks. I don't remember all the mods exactly, other than the 341% Enhanced Damage!! I was really happy. I'm using it as a switch weapon for my zealot.

Imbuing does the same thing. Destroys whatever mods the item had beforehand. So much for my +3 lycantropy, +3 werebear helm. :( Now it's +1 solar creeper... :lol:

Nightfish said:
Imbuing does the same thing. Destroys whatever mods the item had beforehand. So much for my +3 lycantropy, +3 werebear helm. :( Now it's +1 solar creeper... :lol:

White class-specific items with decent automods should always be socketed for runewords if possible because of this feature.

Concurrently, elite white class-specifics (and staves, wands etc) with no/crap automods are prime imbue candidates.

Yup, I had the same experience with a shrunken head with the 'perfect' skills for ym guy. Just have to keep in mind that switching from low quality to normal is actually changing the item type (not the base item :)), it's no different than going from normal to magical.

The MPQ file that governs the cube recipes (cubemain.txt) has two kinds of "output" flags, "usetype" and "useitem". Usetype means a re-roll, only keeping the base type. Useitem means you keep everything that is on the item, except for the things you are deliberately changing.

The "useitem" recipes are
socketing recipes
unique upgrade recipes
rare upgrade recipes
repair recipes
unsocket recipe

Everything else which keeps one of the oriignal items is a usetype and will reroll your mods.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High