Matriarch Nath, Fuzzy Dodger

snickersnack

Dec 23, 2007
The Impetus

I found a Ber rune not too long ago and made a Beast runeword out of it. The fuzzy dodger build always seemed interesting, so it was an obvious build choice.

nath1.jpg

The Build
I read through a few mat threads to get some ideas, though most of those were from older patches when DAE was bugged.

Skill: points/gear
Valkyrie: 20/27
Decoy: 5/12
Dodge: 13/20
Avoid: 11/18
Evade: 11/18
Critical Strike: 17/24
Penetrate: 20/27
Saved: 1

I could put more points into one of DAE to try to get one more percentage point, but that's probably not worthwhile. Maybe I'll put more points into Decoy as she gets more levels? The Valk has no problems staying alive, but I'm not sure where else to put points...

Early Leveling

I started the character a while ago with the plan to make another bowzon (Nath is the middle name of the person my physical bowzon is named after), but then I decided not to do that. When I ran D2 LoD to start a new amazon, I found Nath and just continued where I'd left off before. Early skill points went into Fire Arrow to synergize Exploding Arrow on the 1.07(9?) Ravenclaw that I would put on at level 15. From that point on, all of normal difficulty was very easy.

start in 1.14d
artic set
iratha's set
1.07/1.09 RC at 15.
points in Fire Arrow to synergize
fire damage small charms
sail through Normal.
kill baal

Mid Leveling

For NM difficulty, I stripped the character and forwarded her to D2R. I used Harmony for a while and then Demon Machine as soon as I could, which led to facerolling similar to using RC in 1.14d. Between piercing, fully synergized Exploding Arrows from DM and Infinity on the merc, Act 4 of NM was quite easy. I also used a Flickering Flame tiara until level 66 when I could equip the Beast cadaceus.

At that point, I respecced and put on an upped Moser's Blessed Circle with 2 pdiamonds, Gore Rider's replaced War Traveler's, Tal Rasha's helm went on and CtA and Spirit went on swap. Eventually, Vampire Gaze replaced Tal's helm. Of course, Grief went on the main hand.

Also, when I was muling items on, I accidentally put on some ethereal Gore Rider boots without noticing. I decided to leave them on, and that turned into a somewhat disappointing experiment. It turns out that with ~55% dodge, ~67% block, and ~10k defense, you don't get hit that much. :)

start NM in D2R
harmony sometimes, using Multishot
demon machine most of the time
flickering flame tiara
sail through NM
more points in Fire Arrow

lvl 64, act 4 NM
Infinity on merc
lvl 65, act 4 NM
dual leech ring
highlord's, faith

lvl 66, act 4 NM
Beast goes on, swing with Grief

respec

upped moser's
ethereal gorerider (replace travs)
tal rasha's head
cta, spirit

Late Game

At some point, either in late NM or early Hell, I stopped using CtA/Spirit to prebuff and instead started using a Hustle Mythical Sword on switch to get the Burst of Speed buff, which enabled (I think) 6fpa with Grief on the main weapon swap.

Most of Hell difficulty was pretty easy, if a bit slow and plodding at times due to the single target attack. DPS was good and survivability was extremely good. Not much to say about that except that I did full clears at /p8 the whole time. I think the only area that I skimped on was the Arcane Sanctuary.

I used an upped, 2 pdiamond Moser's for a while, but then I rolled up a couple Sanctuary Troll Nests. The first roll was pretty bad, but the second was okay. This lead to an easier time keeping block chance at around 67% as well as some "free" magic damage reduction.

As Act 5 wore on, things did get a bit harder. I think that this was partly because I was overleveled for a while and it evened out in late Act 5. Death Lords were a bit of a pain because they kept killing the merc, causing me to lose Might and Decrep, with the latter being much more important. I'm not sure that the Valk ever died in Hell (aside from bosses), but the merc sure did! With the merc, I kept shifting his gear around. Cure BV vs Vamp Gaze and Treachery DS vs G Bane.

Abaddon was a real slog. The merc kept dying, but I got through it, Valk intact.

Gloams were common, but I kept Thundergod's Vigor in the stash for these cases.

I don't usually use Anya's portal when I'm just questing a new character, so this was fairly interesting for me. Nihlathak's Temple wasn't too dangerous, and I used a Nature's Peace ring in the Halls of Vaught.

The ancients weren't too scary, but they did take a while.

At Baal's death, gear was:

weap: Grief PB
shield: Sanctuary troll nest
switch: Hustle mythical sword, Spirit monarch
cube: demon limb (hel), Beast cadaceus
helm: Andariel's Visage (fire res, ias jewel)
chest: Fortitude
belt: Thundergod's Vigor (String of Ears in stash that I forgot to put back on after WSK)
gloves: Steelrend
boots: ethereal Gore Rider
ammy: Highlord's Wrath
rings: Dwarf Star, Ravenfrost (Nature's Peace and BKWB in stash)
charms: anni, torch, bone break, gheed's, AR/life

merc: might
weap: eth Reaper's Toll (shael)
chest: Gladiator's Bane (Treachery DS in stash)
helm: Vampire Gaze (Cure bone visage in stash)

nath2.jpg

stopped using cta and used hustle to buff ias/rw
steel rend replaced lava gout
andy's on at 83

merc kept dying in abaddon to death lord before decrep procced
switched from cure to vamp
crash right before possessed death champ was slivered

enemy hits are landing more now

restart, frigid highlands wp
nature's peace goes on, bk goes in stash
do 2 pens again, go to abaddon again
merc still dies a lot, but no crash

gloams in FR
thundergod's vigor replaces string for now
DS replaces NP for MDR

act1 mobs in Halls of Anguish

NDE in WSK3 when I was amped and got hit with Hell Temptress fire
I instictively hit shift-1 instead of 1, healing my merc, and saw my health dip again, donw to around 20%, then hit 1.
around the corner, death lord champ pack, still amped, down to ~10%

in the last two minion wves, I did use CTA to prebuff

Deaths

Not a single one, even at /p8 the whole time. :) There were a couple of NDEs, though, mostly at the end of Act 5 in Hell. Being amped and getting hit by frenzytaurs was pretty much the only thing that got me at all worried. There were a couple of times where my health dipped below 50%.

Finds

I found a Lem and Pul, and the Hell hellforge was a Gul rune. I got a -4/5 poison facet that I haven't posted in the IFT, yet.

Future Plans

Uh, hmmm. I'll probably level my berserker-turned-woflbarb a bit before considering some MFing with him. I need that 6ist PB to be used for something!

After that, I'm not too sure, but probably another werebear. Maybe a palabear, maybe a bearsorc. idk.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Try a PDR Palabear
That sounds like a plan. :) I'm probably going to do some general farming and LK for a bit, but that might be next.

I was thinking about this more, and maybe a Blade Shield Bearsin* will be next. Your suggestion is good, so I might level them both at the same time...

* Also, Claw Mastery and Weapon Block might be good with that. Hmmmm, I wonder if there might be some way to merge a PSer with Werebear and have effectively a fireclaws bear. :devilish: Edit: Hmm, it seems that werebear attacks don't release charges...

Last edited:
Nice character! Pretty sweet feeling to take on hell at p8 and not ever get close to dying. Do you have a cham laying around for Metamorphosis?

Last edited:
@thefranklin you need to make an entry in the single players trading forum Profiles thread before anyone will trade with you. There are a few out there that have Chams laying around so a trade should be possible. Finding a worthy 3os pelt could be even more difficult.

However, if you can't make a trade and play D2R I would be willing to LOAN you mine. Mine is far from perfect, but does have an additional +3 to Fury. PM me if interested.

Lobo's Metamorphosis
Superior Spirit Mask
IoChamFal
Defense: 59
Durability: 20 of 20
Required Level: 67
Required Strength: 30
Fingerprint: 0x2f8d1918
Item Level: 48
Version: Resurrected
100% Chance to cast level 1 Unknown on striking
100% Chance to cast level 1 Unknown on striking
+5 to Shape-Shifting Skills (Druid Only)
25% Chance of Crushing Blow
+3 to Fury (Druid Only)
+66% Enhanced Defense
+10 to Strength
+10 to Vitality
All Resistances +10
Cannot Be Frozen
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Io Rune
Socketed: Cham Rune
Socketed: Fal Rune

I am not looking to trade, I was just wondering if you had used it or were planning on using it. A beast sept with meta helm might be pretty fun. Wonder what casting of Level 1 Unknown does...

LOL, that because I generated it in GoMule and it doesn't understand the Marks and I didn't pay attention to what it produced. One is Mark of the Werewolf and the other is Mark of the bear. Here's the details from the Runeword list

Werewolf strikes grant Mark for 180 seconds
Mark of the wolf:
30% Bonus to Attack Rating
Increase Maximum Life 40%
Werebear strikes grant Mark for 180 seconds

Mark of the bear:
+25% Attack Speed
+25% chance of Crushing Blow
Physical Damage Received Reduced by 20%

+5 to Shape Shifting Skills (Druid Only)
+25% Chance of Crushing Blow
+50-80% Enhanced Defense
+10 to Strength
+10 to Vitality
All Resistances +10
Sockets (3)
Cannot Be Frozen

Nice character! Pretty sweet felling to take on hell at p8 and not ever get close to dying. Do you have a cham laying around for Metamorphosis?
I have a Cham rune in 1.14d that I've been saving for a while, so I could make Metamorphosis, but I don't have god base for a druid only runeword, and I'm not sure I want to spend my only Cham on making it in a diadem. It's something to think about, but there are other uses for a Cham rune. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: little birdy
I have a Cham rune in 1.14d that I've been saving for a while, so I could make Metamorphosis, but I don't have god base for a druid only runeword, and I'm not sure I want to spend my only Cham on making it in a diadem. It's something to think about, but there are other uses for a Cham rune. 🤷‍♂️
Unless you have a really strong preference for Druids / ‘Beast’ Bear builds, I think there are better ways to spend a Cham.

Reactions: snickersnack
I've found and used two Chams. I don't really regret spending the Cham on Metamorphosis, but right now I wish I had it back so I could try Plague on an Assassin. Wait, that another single class runeword!

The first Cham I found I used on Doom. I don't regret making it, but I do regret making it in a Superior War Spike as the repair costs are astronomical. It turned out to be a very nice off-hand weapon for my Wolfbarb till I made Phoenix.

I’ve found two Chams as well in D2R—but only used one so far. I made ‘Mist’ in a Mat. Bow with +3 Bow skills. Definitely no regrets there! I love that bow. I would like to use my other Cham on a ‘Plague’ claw eventually… but I need to find a base that’s juuuuuust right.

Unless you have a really strong preference for Druids / ‘Beast’ Bear builds, I think there are better ways to spend a Cham.
Yeah, this is the first bear character I've made, including with druids, and while it was fun, I'm not sure that's the best use for the 1 Cham I have. What interests me most is probably Hand of Justice but I would need to farm up more runes if I wanted to make an HoJ/Dragon/Dragon for an auradin.
I've found and used two Chams. I don't really regret spending the Cham on Metamorphosis, but right now I wish I had it back so I could try Plague on an Assassin. Wait, that another single class runeword!

The first Cham I found I used on Doom. I don't regret making it, but I do regret making it in a Superior War Spike as the repair costs are astronomical. It turned out to be a very nice off-hand weapon for my Wolfbarb till I made Phoenix.
Yeah, Doom does look pretty good.
I’ve found two Chams as well in D2R—but only used one so far. I made ‘Mist’ in a Mat. Bow with +3 Bow skills. Definitely no regrets there! I love that bow. I would like to use my other Cham on a ‘Plague’ claw eventually… but I need to find a base that’s juuuuuust right.
I do like assassins a lot, and I also am considering Plague. What would be your ideal claw?

Reactions: little birdy
Yeah, this is the first bear character I've made, including with druids, and while it was fun, I'm not sure that's the best use for the 1 Cham I have. What interests me most is probably Hand of Justice but I would need to farm up more runes if I wanted to make an HoJ/Dragon/Dragon for an auradin.
Dual ‘Dragon’ with ‘Hand of Justice’ is high on my wish list too! I have good bases stashed away for them, and the one Cham… but no Sur or Lo runes at the moment 🫤

I do like assassins a lot, and I also am considering Plague. What would be your ideal claw?
I’ve been toying with the idea of using ‘Plague’ as the secondary claw on my Whirlwind Assassin to get more damage out of Venom. So +3 Venom works be nice. Then I’d switch up some gear to improve the poison damage (e.g. Sunder charm, Trang-Oul’s gloves, facets where I can fit them). Cleansing aura and ctc Lower Resist when struck from ‘Plague’ would be helpful I think. A bonus to Death Sentry would be handy as well even though I generally don’t use DS all that much.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High